Try to remember life as you lived it years ago, on a typical day in the fall. Back then, you cared deeply about certain things (a girlfriend? Depeche Mode?) but were oblivious of others (your political commitments? your children?). Certain key events—college? war? marriage? Alcoholics Anonymous?—hadn’t yet occurred. Does the self you remember feel like you, or like a stranger? Do you seem to be remembering yesterday, or reading a novel about a fictional character?
Help a Friend
Search the Site
- Conquering Spiritual Trauma from Evangelical Pastor ft. Dr. Laura Anderson November 23, 2023
- Do not purchase or use Neptune’s Fix November 22, 2023
- Be a Citizen Scientist November 7, 2023
- The Grown Man’s Guide to Making and Keeping Friends | SELF September 22, 2023
- If anxiety is in my brain, why is my heart pounding? A psychiatrist explains the neuroscience and physiology of fear September 14, 2023